Chapter 817 Background
- Established by the National Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) during 2011 as Chapter 817 in Sumter, SC.
- Re-chartered in 2014 as the General George L. Mabry, Jr. Chapter 817 to honor General Mabry, a World War II hero and Medal of Honor recipient from Sumter.
- Pictured below are Charter Members during the Chapter Designation Ceremony. EThe vent
\covered in the Sumter Item and MOPH Magazine, Purple Heart :
- Chapter consists of about 35 combat wounded veterans that meet on the third Thursday of each month at the Combat Veterans Center at 529 North Wise Drive in Sumter.
- Supports programs to aid veterans in need of assistance and helps veterans acquire benefits they have earned..
- Participates in parades and attends city and county patriotic functions such as the Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies.
- Arranges for the annual Purple Heart Day Proclamation with the Sumter Mayor, and prepares appropriate press announcements.
- Supports Sumter County Veterans Association activities, South Carolina department MOPH programs, and other veterans events, as appropriate
- Pictured below are Chapter Officers for 2020-2021:
Chapter 817 Mission
- Foster an environment of goodwill and camaraderie among combat wounded veterans, promote patriotism, support veteran's initiatives, and most importantly, provide service and support to veterans and their families.
National MOPH Information
- Established in 1932 and chartered by Congress in 1958.
- Composed of military men and women who received the Purple Heart Medal for wounds suffered in combat.
- Provides support to all veterans, has scholarship programs for members and their families, and maintains continuous liaison with members of Congress on key issues..
- Publishes Purple Heart Magazine and e-mail newsletters to keep members apprised of ongoing events at both national and chapter levels.
- Organixed into Regions (areas of the US), Departments States of the US), and Chapters
throughout the United States and its Territories.
- Purple Heart Membership. MOPH Membership is the fraternal arm of the Order and is organized into Regions, Departments, and Chapters that execute MOPH programs.